How Do I Start Learning Illustrator?

How Do I Start Learning Illustrator


Even when I was in college, I tried to take the time to create personal pieces and effectively promote them to the world. But, I didn't start researching and discovering more about the business side of illustration until I took a forced break from college once and finally left again. As you may or may not know, in the middle of 2011, I ended up dropping out of school due to the financial pressure it was putting on me. But, since I still had the drive to create art and get the world to see my work, I began researching the experiences of other painters. Have you searched for answers to these questions: How do you promote art/illustrations? How do you bring your art to the galleries? How do you get your illustrations in magazines? What are some steps to becoming a painter and many more?

I learned a lot, and I'm still learning. Most likely, it is an incomplete list. But it is a list of some sites that can reveal to you more about the background of illustrative business, such as sending promotional cards, creating a blog, social media, and style. It is not only for the freelance illustrator, but also for the artist working to introduce and learn about art to the public both inside and outside of marketing his work. I'm still in the same boat you are when it comes to creating an effective market for my work and building relationships with my art partners. But with the evidence I found, I am now a different person, and I know more than I did a year ago. You will too.

Escape From Illustration Island

Yes, Escape from Illustration Island has served me well. Podcasts in particular. I used to listen to this podcast while creating the tracks. I say I used to because I listened to every one of them and am waiting for the update. (ETA: The podcast is over, but you can still listen to countless podcasts on the site) Thomas James has interviewed many different people in the field, from art consultants, art directors, illustrators, and art representatives! And more! It is incredibly insightful and attractive.

When you listen to a podcast, it flows well, although Thomas James sometimes pauses and doesn't seem to know what to say. I like to ask myself if he has pre-planned questions, but sometimes he ends up asking questions that are unexpected and depend on what the interviewee said. Aside from the podcast, he has a wealth of resources that include contributions from other illustrators. Resources such as showcasing examples of a contract when working with a client, sites to sell your work, lessons in different media, and various blogs and external sites to fulfill your desires as an artist. If you have a skill, article or piece that you would like to share, even you are encouraged to do so. (A guest contribution is one way to increase the visibility of your work.)

Illustration Mundo

I don't remember how I discovered this site. It was probably the last year of high school. I think it was around the time I first discovered the illustration. It has several illustrators, and when you click on a particular thumbnail you like, you are sent to the artist's website to see more of his portfolio. Apart from the featured illustrators on the homepage, you can search for various illustrators by medium or style.

You'll see how someone uses the same materials you do in their own way, discovers more about a style you're trying to master, or generally sees new patterns. The Mundo illustration introduces you to the artists in your field. In the blogging section, a big plus is that sometimes Nate Williams (the illustrator who runs the site) will be interviewing some of the featured illustrators. You will discover their work and why they became illustrators, what a day in the life of a said illustrator is, what media they use and why, clients they have, etc. It's a great way to not only understand more about the illustrator but also get a look at their work ethic, perhaps how they reached a client, and whether your work is in any way related to the illustrator or the client's vision. If so, this is an opportunity for you to share your business or promote your business if the type of clients they have are the ones you're looking for.

Zero2illo

Zero2illo was created by photographer Jonathan Woodward during his early stages as an illustrator. You are there with him as he shares his own experience with you.

This is what I like the most about this site. Even now, with his career flourishing, he offers advice on various sources of income, interviews other artists, details business practices that start with your confidence as a painter, and provides a list of business and design tools you'll need as your own.

Lines and colors

You definitely came across the fonts and colors in high school and have continued to keep up ever since. Charlie Parker (founder of this site) reviews any art from the past or present. So we are talking about art from the sixteenth century and perhaps more. In each article, he focuses solely on the artist or art form. This site is similar to Demonstrational Mundo in that it introduces your art colleagues but differs in that I don't recall interviewing anyone. In my opinion, what makes Lines and Colors a viable resource is that it showcases the diverse range of designers who have worked before you or who work with you today.

There are still more specific helpful tips I want to share that I've read and found. But they are illustrators and designers, with their voices and not as a group site, so that would be for another post. So for now, that concludes this list.

Post a Comment

0 Comments